Wednesday 3 June 2015

Ham Radio in Laramie

I arrived back home yesterday from my trip to the US, my jeg-lagged mind awash with memories of new friends and great experiences. I met a great bunch of amateurs in my old stomping ground in Laramie, WY...

First, I met a few hams at my talk at the University, where I spoke about the Physical Computing movement and its implications in STEM outreach, Teaching and Learning, and Curriculum Design.


Bob, n7cii, is a faculty member and it was great to meet and chat with him - particularly as it turned out he had my old office and had graced it with a copy of EMRFD!

Walt, k7se, also came along to the talk - he was to become a good friend throughout my visit, being honoured at the "Bernie Club" BBQ, which Lou, wy7ls, President of the University Amateur Radio Club, had arranged in Washington Park.

Several local hams gathered for burgers, hot dogs, chicken, etc and a good chat...


Seems that "Bernie" (from which these gatherings take their name) was a ham from the nearby Colorado town (no doubt the locals would call it a city - any U.S. setlement of more than three or four inabitants is a "city") of Fort Collins.

I had a great evening, learning that the dominant activity of the club is in provision of VHF communication services for community events (such as bicycle races), which, as well as being a useful and enjoyable activity in itself, provides a framework for the provision of a similar service, should it be needed in emergency or extreme weather conditions.

Walt was celebrating 60 years of "radio activity" during my visit, so a cake was produced, cut and enjoyed - you see Walt, his wife Dolores, ka7mpb and the cake below...


Also seen in the photo above is Scott, who remembers me from the time I was a young Faculty member at UW back in the 1980s - seems I was his advisor when he was a transfer student. I apologised and said I hoped I hadn't blighted his life too badly. We were able to enjoy pleasant time together - so it seems my sins were forgiven.

I was lucky enough to be invited out to Walt's place N of town, where he has a great shack, optimised for his passions of DX-ing and contesting (apologies for the poor "phone" photo)...


His 30 acres on the prairie allow antenna farming on the scale I can only dream of - and you can see the clear blue skies of Wyoming at a mile and a quarter altitude that I still do dream of...


Walt gave me a leaving gift of surpassing generosity, which must be recorded...


I met a great bunch of hams - but I'd like to thank another ham who I didn't meet. Both before and during my visit, Dale, wc7s, down in Cheyenne, had provided a bunch of information and inspiration about radio in the Rocky Mountain West and and WY in particular. Thanks Dale - maybe next time!

If ever you're fortunate enough to be in the West, get in touch with these guys and gals.

...-.- de w7/m0xpd

No comments:

Post a Comment