Saturday 17 November 2012

Send in the clones

Having enjoyed tinkering with my breadboarded rip-off of the Ibanez Tube Screamer, I decided to build some more "permanent" versions...

I knocked up a printed circuit board in Eagle...


A populated PCB is seen along with the original "Dolly" and the first completed clone in the photo below...


The unit is built into a (cheap version of a) Hammond 1590bb diecast enclosure, which I got on ebay from the "Fuzz Shack", who sells the enclosure as a kit with 1/4 inch jack sockets, a d.c. socket and 3pdt push-button switch at a good price (though I'm not using the switch - I've decided to stay with the original 'electronic' switching rather than go for "true bypass", so I'm using a different momentary action push-to-make foot-switch).

 The PCB and the wiring has to be carefully shoe-horned into the enclosure...


R.G.Keen says "The TS series seems to be at its best when driving the input to a tube amplifier" in his excellent discussion of the Tube Screamer circuit - I agree with him...


The two clones aren't both for me (although it is pretty convenient having two Tube Screamers with different set-ups dialled into each unit). Some lucky friend will find one in their Christmas stocking!

 ...-.- de m0xpd

No comments:

Post a Comment